toc2db for California electronics

bigboss97
Administrator
This is the first version of toc2db which converts the TOC information of HOTDOG20 into DB (SQLite, see www.sqlite.org).
To run queries on the DB, you need to download the sqlite3 from above link.

The idea of this project is to prepare the information in a DB so that a player can select the songs much faster, e.g. filter, search etc.

To do: To include HOTDOG00 information (e.g. artist) in DB.
toc2db.zip

Re: toc2db for California electronics

bigboss97
Administrator
Now it includes artist information as well which is extracted from hotdog00.dat.
I only finished the part for English, not caters for dual-byte yet.
Unfortunately, it won't be able to run for all languages because I noticed that key2 (mask) is different in all languages. The analysis of hotdog00 might cause a crash if a wrong mask is used.
toc2db.zip

Re: toc2db (How to accommodate the Tool in your favorite Player?)

bigboss97
toc2db.zip
1) Run toc2db on your hotdog20 and hotdog00 files. It creates the "external.db".
2) Create your own GUI for song ID input. The offset (address) in hotdog00 can be retrieve from "external.db"
3) Run dvd2midi with the offset which generate a MIDI file "songtmp.mid".
4) Launch your favorite player with the song "songtmp.mid".
5) Happy karaoKING!

I've modified my (shareware) player folksKJ to demostrate how it works. The file "external.db" has to be copied to the same directory. Currently, it only works for English songs.

folksKJ.zip

Re: toc2db for California electronics

bigboss97
Now it works for Chinese and English. Chinese entries are inserted in unicode.
Bug fixed in dvd2midi, to cater for mixed mode lyrics (ASCII & dual-byte).
toc2db.zip

Re: toc2db for California electronics (new key length algorithm)

bigboss97
Administrator
I just noticed that there are still over 1200 from 5152 Chinese songs cannot be decoded. In all those songs, the key length could not be determined. Now I've replaced the algorithm. Instead of searching for pattern (with 2 attempts), I try to find the first character of the song title.

Now, the key lengths of all Chinese songs are found. I hope that there is no side effect on English songs.

Phuoc Can HUA
toc2db.zip

Re: toc2db for California electronics (Vietnamese key2 for dvd2midi)

bigboss97
key2 for Vietnamese decoded.
hd00Contents.cpp

Re: toc2db for California electronics (help on Vietnamese needed)

bigboss97
There are still 117 Vietnamese song undecoded and the unicode table for Vietnamese still has to be fixed.
toc2db.zip

Re: toc2db for California electronics (updated source codes)

bigboss97

Re: toc2db for California electronics (help on Vietnamese needed)

bababanbunbo
Hi all,

Do the MIDI files contain lyrics?  If they do, Vietnamese will be correctly displayed?

Thanks for your good work.  Keep it up.

BBB...

Re: toc2db for California electronics (help on Vietnamese needed)

bigboss97
Administrator
I'm not sure whether I've posted my latest version. But I've been using the progam with my karaoke player without major decoding issue. Maybe because I don't sing VN that much

The program posted here will convert the song to a MIDI file with unicode lyrics. If your player can handle unicode lyrics you can see VN (also Chinese) on English XP.

bababanbunbo wrote

BBB...

Re: toc2db for California electronics (help on Vietnamese needed)

bababanbunbo
Hi BigBoss,

Thank you for your response.  Is there a way that you can convert the database into individual MIDI+Lyric files?

What I want to do is to load these MIDI+lyric files into a workstation (Korg OASYS or similar equipment) and use it as a "karaoke" machine capable of adjusting MIDI parameters.

The MIDI engine in the settop is not good at all.  Thanks.

BBB...

Re: toc2db for California electronics (help on Vietnamese needed)

bigboss97
Administrator
http://www.nabble.com/toc2db-for-California-electronics-tp12578997p12859617.html
Shows how to use the tools posted here.

It only generates the selected file (song) each time. The file is standard MIDI (including text). Any MIDI equipment (or software) should read it and you can of course edit the file. But for non-English text, make sure your system supports unicode.

I play it on XP with an external YAMAHA MIDI module.

bababanbunbo wrote

bababanbunbo
Thank you, BB.  I'll try that later.

Re: toc2db (How to accommodate the Tool in your favorite Player?)

bigboss97
These are the questions I received from David privately. For common interest, I'm posting them here:

1) Where is the hotdog20 file originate from? I did not find it on the toc2db.zip or the folksKJ.
The file name (hotdog20) might vary on diffrent versions of DVD. Basically, it's the biggest (data) file, except the movie file.
toc2db.zip is attached in the original post, a tool to read the hotdog20. It only works on certain DVD's.
folksKJ is the player on www.folksfun.com. The latest release has included the modifications mentioned here.

2) What is ment by "song ID input?
Song ID= the number in the song list
The idea of that, you can punch the same number in a software player to retrieve the same song. So, you still can use your existing song list (hardcopy).

3) offset= ?
Offset is the technical term for the spot where the song starts (in this context).
This is a description for people making their own favorite player running on CalElect songs.
toc2db is used to analyse the disk and prepare the information for the player to find the song, offsets etc.

HTH
Phuoc

bigboss97 wrote