Decoding JBK 6628 DVD Karaoke Disc

JBK disc is not-readable

jeffdoan
Hi,

I have a JBK MIDI-8380BM and am having problem with the player recently not able to read the included MIDI disc.  The player reads regular Karaoke DVD discs just fine, but always fails to read the MIDI disc (Vol.L5) and display the message No Disc each time I tried it.

I can Explore the disc with Windows just fine.  It shows volume name MDVD_6628, with a whole bunch of DKD files, and a MPG file.  I've tried to make duplicate copy of the disc onto a DVD+R/DL for suspecting the original disc may have been damage somehow.  But I still have the same problem.

Since there's nothing in the manual about troubleshooting this issue, and I have no idea on how to get a replacement disc (I bought the player on eBay a while back), I'm stuck.

Would you have any idea how I can get around this problem?  Any pointer on where I can buy a replacement disc will be greatly appreciated, since I don't want to shell out $400 for a new player (no one carries this model anymore, as JBK has come out with a new model, the M-3000).

Thanks ahead.

Jeff

Re: JBK disc is not-readable

jim75
Jeff, sorry for the late reply, I've been busy with the software, didn't check this site for a while.
A few question with your problem.  Does the original disc stock DVD (silver surface not DVD-R)?  Did it just stop working one day, or does it got intermittent lately?  If you could read and copy the disc, that seem like the disc is okay.  It points to an out of tune (or dirty) player optical components.  My JBK doesn't have that problem yet, but I have a DVD player before that could read certain discs only as it get older, and eventually it doesn't read any disc at all.  If that's the case, fixing it is a big challenge, if not impossible.  You could try to clean the reader lens by opening the cover and use the camera blow brush to clean it.  If that doesn't work, then it's just trial and error by looking for some pots near the read header and adjust them to see it help.
Or just try to get some good quality DVD-R (Sony) to see it help.  Sorry, I am pretty clueless too!

Re: First Version of DiscImage Tool

jim75
Here's the second version of the disc image tool.  It could compile 1000 songs in like a minute.  Lots of bug fixes.  It could encode VNI font and ASCII Vietnamese lyric to JBK format.  Still not perfect, still don't know how to generate the contents (DTSMUS10/20.DKD).
DiscImage.zip

Re: First version of SongDump

jim75
Here's a combination of SongDump and COB2MIDI.  Just give it a song number and it'll produce a midi file.
JBK2MIDI.zip

Re: MIDI Decoding Break-through

jim75
Wow, I should've read a bit more before I start digging too deep myself, the format is exactly as described in the post.  I spent like a few days trying to understand the format, what a waste of time.

Re: MIDI Decoding Break-through

scieman
hello Sir, i read your post and im so interest with it but the problem is i can't find any file of DTSMUS00.DKD
DTSMUS01.DKD
DTSMUS02.DKD
DTSMUS03.DKD
DTSMUS04.DKD
DTSMUS05.DKD
DTSMUS10.DKD
DTSMUS20.DKD

can u upload it in the net and please post here the link so i can download the file and check the improvement of your work.

Re: Decoding JBK 6628 DVD Karaoke Disc (Song List)

bigboss97
I just had a look at:
http://cheapkaraoke.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=C&Product_Code=JBKMIDI-6628

and noticed that the songs on JBK are very similar to California.

Re: First version of SongDump

bigboss97
jim,
Based on the song lists in:
http://cheapkaraoke.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=C&Product_Code=JBKMIDI-6628

I found some songs which I'm interested in and they are not on California. Would you be able to send me some songs? Alternatively, can I "borrow" your (large) file and so I can test your tool as well?
But then we have to find a way to get your file over.

Re: First version of SongDump

asdeane
Hi

I have been watching with interest your continued development of conversion tools for JBK Karaoke files and recently took delivery of the M-4000 unit.

I have downloaded your tools and cannot workout how to use the Songdump?

What is the syntax for dumping the files to MIDI?

I have copied all .DKD files to same folder as Songdump..

Can you help and I can report back success or not and help you if you would like to continue with the development.

Thankyou
asdeane

Re: First version of SongDump

eilohn
Hello,

Is there any development on this?? I want also to update my Karaoke Disc which has the same files, i.e. BACK01.MPG, DTSMUS00.DKD, DTSMUS20.DKD, etc.... with new songs if it is possible. My player is MediaCom Player which was bought by my brother-in-law last 2006. If there are new things, software, song updates, etc... on how to update songs, please post to this thread.

New DVD Disc for that player (MediaCom) is expensive so I want to make my self update my discs.

Thank you.

Re: MediaCom

bigboss97
Administrator
Hi eilohn,
Check jim75's posts. As far as I could follow he did manage to extract songs. As you might already found in this forum, we are only able to extract songs so far. Adding song back to the disc is a very complicated process. We only managed to fix existing songs, e.g. put in delay (see older posts).

The only way to get an unlimted song collection is to use software to extract existing songs and play them on PC. So, you can add new songs on your PC.

Try to play around with jim75's programs. Since I don't have JBK disc I wasn't involved in this project. I've been trying to contact jim75. Unfortunately, I haven't got a response from him  :-(
eilohn wrote
Hello,

Is there any development on this?? I want also to update my Karaoke Disc which has the same files, i.e. BACK01.MPG, DTSMUS00.DKD, DTSMUS20.DKD, etc.... with new songs if it is possible. My player is MediaCom Player which was bought by my brother-in-law last 2006. If there are new things, software, song updates, etc... on how to update songs, please post to this thread.

New DVD Disc for that player (MediaCom) is expensive so I want to make my self update my discs.

Thank you.

Re: MediaCom

eilohn
Hello there bigboss97,

Is the "JBK disc" you said is the same as my DVD disc which can play on MediaCom player which contains files like BACK01.MPG, DTSMUS00.DKD, DTSMUS20.DKD, etc....? I was able to image it on my pc with a file format .iso. I can share with you that file but it is very large it is I think 4.xx GB. How can I send it to you that kind of file which is very large?

On the other hand, I was not able to use jim75 software in extracting, I got some errors in running them.

Anyway, on the DVD Disc which has the files, BACK01.MPG, DTSMUS00.DKD, DTSMUS20.DKD, etc.... as I said I was able to image it on my PC in .iso format, I did this in order to preserve the original DVD Disc for future damage. So when I tried to burn it to other DVD Disc, it works all fine with the player when I tried to play it.

Re: MediaCom

bigboss97
Administrator
Regarding to your question I've sent you a private message (email) sometime ago.

eilohn wrote
I was able to image it on my pc with a file format .iso. I can share with you that file but it is very large it is I think 4.xx GB. How can I send it to you that kind of file which is very large?

Re: MediaCom

AnNguyen03
Bigboss97,

I am new to this.  I have same problem as Jeff.  I need your help.  Any solution
Thanks,
An

"I have a JBK MIDI-8380BM and am having problem with the player recently not able to read the included MIDI disc.  The player reads regular Karaoke DVD discs just fine, but always fails to read the MIDI disc (Vol.L5) and display the message No Disc each time I tried it. "

Re: JBK MIDI-8380BM fails to read the MIDI disc (Vol.L5)

bigboss97
Administrator
An,
What you can try is to make a copy of the disk. If your copy software can't read the disk then the disk might be damaged. When you've got the copy then try to play it in your player. If it's still not working then you can try jim75's software and the songs on your PC.

See my comments in:
http://www.nabble.com/Decoding-JBK-6628-DVD-Karaoke-Disc-tp12261269p20907449.html

HTH
Phuoc

AnNguyen03 wrote
Bigboss97,

I am new to this.  I have same problem as Jeff.  I need your help.  Any solution
Thanks,
An

"I have a JBK MIDI-8380BM and am having problem with the player recently not able to read the included MIDI disc.  The player reads regular Karaoke DVD discs just fine, but always fails to read the MIDI disc (Vol.L5) and display the message No Disc each time I tried it. "

Re: JBK MIDI-8380BM fails to read the MIDI disc (Vol.L5)

AnNguyen03
Hi Phuoc,
I was able to rip the content of the MDVD_6628 disc, and saved it as "Track01.bin", "MDVD_6628.mds", and "MDVD_6628.iso".  I burned these images onto 4.7G DVDs and got the same problem.  I got either "no disc" messages or the picture froze. Image was burned onto 4.7G DVD, but why when I view the DVD content it is 7.8 GB.
I bought this JBK player with this MDVD_6628 disc that has over 3000 songs.  I got this for $400 and it can't be returned.  This sucks! :(

An

Re: JBK MIDI-8380BM fails to read the MIDI disc (Vol.L5)

bigboss97
Administrator
An,
Looks like your disk is okay. Some players have a very short live time. Many cases have been reported:
http://community.vietfun.com/showthread.php?t=538269&highlight=arirang

Sometimes the oversize is simply used to stop copying. But if your software didn't complain then the copy should be alright. I know Arirang disk is over 4.7 as well. But when I removed the video it still plays songs.

According to jim75, JBK is very tolerant, see:
http://www.nabble.com/Decoding-JBK-6628-DVD-Karaoke-Disc-tp12261269p12304814.html

As long as your disk is okay try jim75's program. If you can't safe your player at least safe the songs.
I can only provide limited help because I don't have access to JKB disk.

HTH
Phuoc
AnNguyen03 wrote
I was able to rip the content of the MDVD_6628 disc, and saved it as "Track01.bin", "MDVD_6628.mds", and "MDVD_6628.iso".  I burned these images onto 4.7G DVDs and got the same problem.  I got either "no disc" messages or the picture froze. Image was burned onto 4.7G DVD, but why when I view the DVD content it is 7.8 GB.
I bought this JBK player with this MDVD_6628 disc that has over 3000 songs.  I got this for $400 and it can't be returned.  This sucks! :(

Re: First Version of DiscImage Tool

Mavlon
Hello Jim75,

I salute you for all the hard work you did.

This is the only information I have been able to find regarding JBK karaoke players.

My uncle just bought a JBK M-4000 and it came with a dvd? disk that has like 46000 songs or something.
I've been trying to back it up to play it from the USB1 drive but have been unsuccessful.

Does your program work for something like that?

Can you please steer me in the right direction on how to make a backup to my USB HD and play from USB?

Thanks,
Mav

Re: First Version of DiscImage Tool

bigboss97
Administrator
Hi Mav,
Are you saying that your JBK player has a USB port? If so, I guess it only plays conventional song files. What you find on the DVD is a song database which can only be read by their software.

What jim75 has done, he managed to extract the songs and so they can be played by any PC sofware. I guess, his program is model dependent, i.e. the program may fail with your data. you have to try it out.

Unfortunately, jim75 hasn't been seen for very long time. So, you are by yourself. I'll will try to help wherever I can.

See also:
http://www.nabble.com/Decoding-JBK-6628-DVD-Karaoke-Disc-tp12261269p20907449.html

Mavlon wrote

Thanks,
Mav

Re: First Version of DiscImage Tool

Mavlon
I spoke to someone that deals with the JBK M-4000 karaoke player and he told me that the DVD cannot be copied and played from the USB.
You can however convert CD-G discs into MPEG or AVI files and play them from the USB.
Another cool feature is that you can record your sessions onto the USB drive and play them back.

Thanks for your response Bigboss97. :)

Kinds regards,
Mav
123