Midi karaoke DVDs in "PLF" format

korgm3
Recently I bought Vsonic KMD-221 karaoke player that came with three Midi karaoke DVDs in a so-called PLF format. Total song count is advertised to be 130000 (yep, 130 thousand). Songs are in English, Chinese, Tagalog, Spanish, Malaysian, Hindi, French, German, Italian. Midis seem to be of high quality. A few songs are WMA, plus there's about 250 so-called MTV songs on each DVD.

I'm no programmer, but the code is in C as far as I can tell. It also seems to be well commented.

I did some string searches in the archive with the source and found references to all files that are on the DVDs.

I'm hoping that someone on this board who is fluent in C would be able to understand Sunplus source code and write a program based on it to read midi disks in PLF format and extract midi and/or lyrics.

I will upload the contents of the DVDs on 4shared.com.  I'll post a link as soon as it's done (hopefully, this weekend).

With the experience of people on this board I hope we can figure it out.

Re: Midi karaoke DVDs in "PLF" format

korgm3
This post was updated on .
I uploaded one out of three MIDI DVDs is here:
http://www.4shared.com/folder/fDH74JYY/_online.html

I replicated directory structure, except background video files which are not included.

Languages on this one are English, Tagalog, Spanish, Malaysian, Hindi, French, German, Italian. 40000 songs.

Source code of the 8202 decoder board firmwware can be found here:
There are two versions - 8202s and 8202d. I don't know what's the difference, midi subroutines seem to be included in both. 8202d archive is larger though. Maybe that board has more functions.
To download you'd have to join Sunplus_Firmware group on Yahoo (instant, no approval by admin required).

Please share your ideas, thoughts, your code to test.

Re: Midi karaoke DVDs in "PLF" format

bigboss97
Administrator
korgm3 wrote
I uploaded one out of three MIDI DVDs is here:
http://www.4shared.com/folder/Npz1YI4F/Green_Midi_DVD.html
I followed the link above and I could only see 3 font files. Did I do anything wrong?

Re: Midi karaoke DVDs in "PLF" format

korgm3
This post was updated on .
bigboss97 wrote
korgm3 wrote
I uploaded one out of three MIDI DVDs is here:
http://www.4shared.com/folder/Npz1YI4F/Green_Midi_DVD.html
I followed the link above and I could only see 3 font files. Did I do anything wrong?

Sorry about that. I fixed the link. There are three folders: _PLF, IDX and _FNT.

http://www.4shared.com/folder/fDH74JYY/_online.html

Re: Midi karaoke DVDs in "PLF" format

bigboss97
korgm3 wrote
Source code of the 8202 decoder board firmwware can be found here:
OK, I had a first look in the files, very interesting. Obviously, it's dealing more than just decoding. It also handles videos and menus etc. It will be a bit hard to spot the MIDI stuff. My current finding, there are 2 files which maybe in our interest:
check_midi_password.c
osd_midi.c

Can you also tell us how did you find this source? What did you search for? There might be more other sources.

Re: Midi karaoke DVDs in "PLF" format

korgm3
This post was updated on .
Yep, that board handles everything in the player. This player supports many video, audio and some picture formats in addition to being a karaoke player.

Here are files that contain "midi" in the name that I found using Find Files function (F3) in WinRar (8202d  source archive):

\dsp3\dsp3rom.d16.midi.c
\dsp3\dsp3rom.d16.midi.inc
\dsp3\mips\dsp3rom.d16.midi.d
\dsp3\mips\dsp3rom.d16.midi.o
\h\fsmidi.h
\h\fsmidUI.h
\h\fsmidiui_interface.h
\h\fsmidiui_menu.h
\h\fsmidiui_menuctrl.h
\h\fsmidiui_prog.h
\h\fsmidiui_progctrl.h
\IOP\IOP_8202\8202_normal\ioprom22_8202_256pin_ns_16bit_midi_sy_m5.inc
\IR_VFD\check_midi_password.c
\osd\osd_midi.c

Searching for string "PLF" in the archive yielded two files:

\h\fsmidi.h
\h\fsmidUI.h

Searching for strings MEGMID, MEGVOL, MEGVOL1, MEGVOL2 yielded one file:

\h\fsmidi.h

Searching for string FONT.FNTyielded one file:

\h\fsmidUI.h

Searching for string MEGIDX yielded two files:

\h\fsmidUI.h
\system\hdd_gui.c

So, in essence it looks like all files that are on DVD disk are mentioned in three files in the source code:

\h\fsmidi.h
\h\fsmidUI.h
\system\hdd_gui.c

I guess these would be a good place to start for someone who understands the language this code is written in.

Indeed, we have more information than we need. I did find a lot of MIDI related codes. But that's not what we need. We need the part before the data becomes MIDI.
I'll see what I can find. I've no problem in C and MIDI protocol. Btw, I'm the creator of a MIDI karaoke software

Re: Midi karaoke DVDs in "PLF" format

korgm3
Well, I hope it's all in there. Must be. Hope you find what we need.

What's the name of your karaoke software?

It's quite old, no longer working on it  :-)
http://folksfun.com/

Re: Midi karaoke DVDs in "PLF" format

Zubair
HI,
I have a dkd disk and i am unable to extract it. Kindly help me out ...

Re: Midi karaoke DVDs in "PLF" format

korgm3
I found sources of a program to read and write a midifile. Could be useful.
midifile.c
midifile.h